We regularly have students from local schools spending time at the Moe Veterinary Centre learning about the veterinary profession. Our work experience program aims to expose students to the various aspects of working in a vet clinic – from the perspective of both a nurse and a veterinarian.
Over the course of a week, we aim to have students complete a list of tasks:
- Observing surgery and consultations
- Accompanying vets on farm calls
- Handling suture material and sterile surgical instruments
- Identifying and packaging surgical instruments
- Preparing animals for surgery
- Assessing X-rays
- Clipping dogs’ nails
- Walking dogs
Students work from 8.30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Dress is smart casual with flat, enclosed shoes. If possible, bring overalls and gumboots for going out on farm calls. Work experience places fill up quickly, so it is best to make arrangements well in advance.